Seeking a host institution! This year will mark the seventh anniversary of the AALS ADR Section Works-in-Progress conference. The WIP is often described as a “must attend” and for good reason. It’s great to spend a day and a half sharing drafts and floating ideas and running theories past other ADR scholars. Last November, Ohio State did a marvelous job hosting the conference. Other former hosts include Creighton, Oregon, Harvard, Arizona State, and Marquette. You should do it too! Here is the call for papers:
Request for Proposals
Hosting the AALS Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
2013 Works-in-Progress Conference
The AALS Alternative Dispute Resolution Section is seeking a host for the 7th Annual Works-in-Progress Conference to take place in the fall of 2013. The WIP Conference has become one of the “must attends” in the ADR academic field. Previous hosts include Marquette, Arizona State, Harvard, Oregon, Creighton, and Ohio State.
The host institution is responsible for organizing all of the logistics for the conference, such as picking dates, lining up hotels, and scheduling receptions and presentations. Additionally, the conference host is responsible for choosing the papers to be presented.
The Section’s Executive Committee will consider several criteria in selecting the next host institution, including:
- Proximity to a major airport and reasonably-priced hotels
- Planned outreach to attract junior faculty
- Planned or demonstrated outreach to attract law faculty from regional law schools
- Demonstrated engagement with the ADR academic community
- Indications of institutional support for the conference (e.g., funds for meals, sufficient staffing)
- Planned mechanisms to enhance the rigorous yet collegial atmosphere of the program
- Demonstrated experience with hosting similar events
- Any special circumstances that support an institution’s application
Proposals should be sent electronically to Professor Jennifer Reynolds, 2013 Chair of the ADR Section, at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 15, 2013. In the transmittal e-mail subject matter line, please put “AALS ADR Section WIP Conference Proposal.” If you have any questions, please contact Jen Reynolds at the e-mail address listed above. We look forward to hearing from you!